I have a couple words....

stop being gloomy and start being happy, doc.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sound of Music, the

Ah, that used to be my favorite movie. My grandmother earned sainthood watching it with me what must have been hundreds of times. I've never been to Austria, but I live in a pretty hilly place and we've got lots o' music.

I don't care how tone def you are, you'll find your way down to The Sound Garden (310 W Jefferson St next to the MOST in Armory Square). Old style record shop with thousands of new and used cds/dvds, bobble head dolls, hipster caps, and some snacks for those who wander in with the (inevitable) munchies. Check out the "local" section. When it's stocked, you're looking for Sophistafunk, Joe Driscoll, Larry Hoyt, Mandate of Heaven...gosh golly, the list goes on. Go on and experiment. Don't pay any attention to this poor slob.

Where else for tunes? If you're into political rock/folk check out Syracuse Cultural Workers (400 Lodi St, look for the renewable energy murals). They've got a smashing selection of local artists like Colleen Katau, Jolie Rickman, and emma's revolution.

Books & Memories LLC ( 2600 James Street, Syracuse) has vinyl, cds, and tapes. They're open 7 days a week and I'm not allowed to go with you. I have some self-control problems around great used book stores that sell excellently roasted local coffee. :shrugs: The first step is admitting the problem.

We've also got some recording labels in town and some live music venues that make My heart want to beat/Like the wings of the birds/That rise from the lake to the trees. I'm just going to run down some names and you can investigate at your leisure:
The Folkus Project: Folk and Acoustic Music in Syracuse and Central NY; Westcott Community Center (I hear they do a lot of Punk shows); Westcott Theater & Performing Arts Center; Empire Brewing Company; Dinosaur BBQ; Society for New Music; Funk & Waffles (great open mic nights); Al's Wine & Whiskey Bar; Bull & Bear Pub...and the list goes on. As Julie Andrews taught us, sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone, expand your horizons, meet a hunky captain and make clothes out of curtains.

No comments: