I have a couple words....

stop being gloomy and start being happy, doc.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Shhh! And you thought the secret to the wardrobe was Narnia.

Ok, I'm a girl. I admit it. What I shouldn't admit is where I get my clothes. You might be as much a clothes horse as I am. You might take this information and steal off to usurp all the good stuff while I'm writing this. But I am willing to risk it in the hope that smart fashion takes off in Syracuse. Oh, by smart fashion, we're also talking completely green.

Marshall's in Fairmount Fair

3501 West Genesee Street
Syracuse, NY 13031
No joke, this Marshall's has an amazing buyer. Forget the one on Erie Blvd, it sucks. This one rocks. Calvin Klein suits, super cute undies, swim suits in all styles, Michael Kors sunglasses, Sofft shoes...you brand name it and this place has it.

Congregation Beth Sholom-Chevra Shas Rummage Sale

10am-4pm October 31st, 2010 (and there is a spring rummage sale too every year)
18 Patsy Ln, Jamesville, NY 13078-3706
Who knows clothes better than a Jewish mother? This sale is consistently stocked with quality clothes, kitchen items, coats/suits, children's toys, books. This is my super secret go-to for clothing, especially vintage suits and jewelry. A Do Not Miss on my Things To Do list.

Boom Babies
489 Westcott Street, Syracuse, NY
Designer dresses, formal wear, men's hats, vintage hankies, cool jewelery, and Halloween costumes out the wazooh. Buyer beware- this shop is wicked but during the peak prom season (March-June, and sometimes August-October for Homecoming) this place is filled with glamor-seeking 16 year olds, harried mothers, and impatient (read: rude) staff. It's a little slice of St Mark's Square chic.

Encore Thrift Shop
119 Brooklea Dr, Fayetteville, NY 13066-1303
And I quote, "located in the Limestone Plaza area of Fayetteville this charming thrift store is staffed by volunteers" and all profits benefit the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra. This place is on the pricey side for a thrift store, not like ye old Salvo, but has top quality brand name goods thanks to it's focus on arts philanthropy and location in richville.

Salvation Army Thift Store
2433 Erie Blvd E Syracuse, NY 13224-1186
The to-go thrift location for Syracuse city residents. This store in particular has all your non-disposable party needs- dishes, silverware, glassware, kitchen appliances, chairs and other household furniture. It also has a warehouse-sized store filled with rows of clothes organized by color. Random, right? There must be a method to that madness because everytime I go I come back with good loot. You need a $16 Tahari pant suit? or 70 little ceramic cups for an amuse bouche? This is THE place.

No comments: